On March 11, 2011 at 14.46 (local time), a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck 81 miles (130km) east of Sendai, the capital of Miyagi prefecture (Japan), followed by a 13 foot tsunami. We are deeply concerned about the devastating impact caused by the earthquake and tsunami.
Please consider supporting the emergency relief efforts by donating.
Ways to Help:
Several organizations are offering support to help victims of the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami relief. Here are a few ways you can help:
- The American Red Cross is accepting donations for Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami relief. Individuals can also text ‘REDCROSS’ to 90999 to donate $10 from their mobile phone.
- Save the Children is responding to the needs of children and families affected by the earthquake and its aftermath. Donations can be made to Save the Children’s Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund.
- International Medical Corps is responding to the health needs of the disaster’s victims.
- World Vision has announced mobilization in response to the earthquake and tsunami.
- NetHope, a collaboration of the world’s leading humanitarian response organizations is mobilizing efforts to support aid agencies responding in the region.
- Mercy Corps is working with its partner Charity Peace Winds Japan to accept donations.
- AidMatrix is working with its partners to connect resources and material for various response efforts. Needs for In-Kind and Transportation donations are being assessed and will be posted to the AidMatrix network as they become available.